Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Strong and Inspiring Friend



This year I became really good friends with Emily Sellers. Emily and I both transferred to OSU this past fall and met through our younger siblings. I had always heard of her through my sister and mutual friends but had never actually met her. I had a feeling we would click and become friends instantly and this is pretty much what happened! Shortly after the semester began, a lump appeared on Emily's collar bone near her neck which she was told might be cancerous. After a couple of weeks Emily was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma at only 20 years old. She had never had severe health problems before or any history of hodgkins lymphoma in her family.

(Above: Emily and I on her 21st birthday shortly after she completed chemo!! Just in time!)



Emily went into surgery shortly after being diagnosed so they could install a port into her chest which her chemo would be done through. There was no sweat about it until she reacted to the anesthesia (I think...I feel like I always tell this part wrong) and ended up in ICU for 2 weeks. The surgery was stopped before the port was installed and a tube was put down her throat. She spent such a long time in ICU because there was a cancerous mass preventing the tube from being removed. In order for it to be removed she had to complete her first chemo treatment in order to shrink the mass. While visiting her in ICU she asked me to rub lotion on her feet. What are friends for... right? I missed her very much during this time!

(Above: Emily and I at an awards ceremony... our 3rd one to attend together haha)



Emily started a 6 month chemo treatment in the fall which would mean she would be traveling back and forth to Stillwater and Tulsa. She finished the fall semester and passed all of her classes! She could have withdrawn from school and moved back home but she chose to stay and finish the semester.

(Above:  Emily and I at an OSU football game)



Once again, Emily traveled back and forth this spring semester to complete her chemo treatments. She ended the semester with straight A's, how awesome is she?? She is currently completing 15 treatments of radiation to prevent the cancer from coming back. Emily and I will be living together this next year and I can't wait!!! August can't come soon enough! She has truly been a wonderful friend and an inspiration to me this year! She continuest amaze me with her strength and courage. I am so proud of her! I love you Emily!!!

(Above: Emily and I at my 22nd birthday this past September)


-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment